ANTIBIOTICS: AVOID WHEN POSSIBLE
Misuse and overuse of antibiotics lead to antibiotic drug resistance.
Misuse and overuse of antibiotics lead to antibiotic drug resistance. Each year in the United States:
• At least 2 million people become infected with antibiotic resistant bacteria.
• At least 23,000 people die as a result of antibiotic resistant infections.
• Antibiotics are most often inappropriately prescribed for adults with acute bronchitis.
• The vast majority of acute bronchitis cases — more than 90 percent — have a nonbacterial cause.
Helpful Hints for Your Practice
• For patients who request a prescription, use the CDC’s Viral Rx Pad to prescribe over-the-counter treatment appropriate for acute bronchitis. The Viral Rx Pad is available on the CDC’s website.
• Provide patients with information on:
- The dangers of misusing and overusing antibiotics
- How antibiotic resistance happens
- Recommend symptomatic therapy for viral illnesses
For more information, visit our website at www.avmed.org/hedishighlight.